Making your own dishwasher detergent will not only save you money, but also satisfy your inner urge to go green in a more frugal and environment-friendly way. There are a number of recipes for homemade dishwasher detergent. You can just pick one that is easily available to you and follow certain, also very simple directions.
As with many other do-it-yourself projects, making your own cleaning detergent can be very convenient because you can just use items that are already in your laundry room, or easily bought at the nearest shopping center.
To get you started, here are some of the most common recipes of homemade dishwasher detergent:
- 1 cup washing or baking soda, or a combination of the two
- 1 cup Borax (this works as natural disinfectants and mild abrasives)
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/2 cup salt (to reduce the effects of hard water)
- 1/4 cup soap shavings or soap flakes
- 1-2 tablespoon distilled white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon glycerin
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable-based castile soap
- 1 teaspoon Lemishine
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3 drops essential oil of your choice
- 1/2 cup water
Easy Steps for Making Homemade Dishwashing Detergent
Depending on the ingredients or recipe you are going to use, the steps for making the dishwasher detergent is very easy. Just follow the following instruction:
- Combine all ingredients in a container.
- Stir and mix them thoroughly.
- Be sure to store it in an airtight container, or a glass jar.
- Put it in a safe location.
That’s fast and easy to make, isn’t it? Now you should try it.
Advantages of homemade dishwasher detergents
Aside from the obvious financial benefits, here are 7 more perks of making your own dishwasher detergent:
- It helps promote creative and independent attitude – after you make your first homemade dishwasher detergent, there’s a very high chance that you’ll get hooked with all the do-it-yourself (DIY) mindset. You will be more likely to look for other household cleaning products that you can make at home.
- It is environmentally friendly – Every time you buy detergent at stores, you are corrupting mother earth as you contribute, to the piles of non-biodegradable waste all over the world. By making your own dishwasher product at home, you’ll be cutting off your plastic detergent waste by a significant amount.
- It helps you become more self-reliant – if you use all-natural ingredients for your DIY dishwasher detergent, you will no longer be dependent on commercially advertised products. Plus coming up with all the natural ingredients that you need to use enhances your resourcefulness.
- Creating promotes learning – making your own dishwasher detergents is a great and fun way to learn new things and re-learn old ones. Dishwasher detergent-making involves a combination of chemistry, math and a little bit of art.
- They work – commercial advertisements have made us believe that the only cleaning products that will work are those that can be bought in stores, wrapped in colorful packaging.
That’s how great and easy going homemade for your dishwashing detergent. Keep in mind also that the vinegar and liquid soap do not usually work well together. But still using the vinegar as a rinse aid is a good way to go.
Feel free to make another batch for future use, or make any amount you’d like. You now have a ready-to-use dishwashing cleaning agent for your home. The best thing also is that homemade dishwasher detergent exudes much fewer harsh chemicals into the waste water, which help a lot preserving the environment in general.